Monday, July 14, 2008

Family Altar Soars...



Family Altar has hit a consecutive all time high of two total meetings!

For those of you unaware. Chenille and I are doing what we call Family Altar. This is a time designated once a week for us to discuss faith, family, and finances. During this time we will pray, read scripture and recite the last weeks scripture memory. This is designed to help keep the idea of Deuteronomy 6 at the forefront of our home. Ok, before you become distraught with our "super-holiness," let me explain that this has taken over four years for us to establish. Believe me, this is a huge step. My mentor for the last two years has been encouraging me to begin a family altar. However, my rebellious nature wasn't for sure on how it would work out. For the last several years, Chenille and I have had a good relationship minus the family altar. Well...push come to shove, I finally realized that if I cannot be successful with the spiritual growth of my own family, then how the heck am I going to guide a flock of people who are not even related to me?! Another factor that helped me push the Deuteronomy 6 plan were the Jews. I was able to shortly observe the attitudes of orthodox Jews while I was in Israel and came to find out that men really do like to lead their families in godliness. Yes, I was able to pick up on that within a TWO WEEK time period. I believe the western world has a lot to learn from our Jewish friends.


Anyway, Family Altar is great because Chenille and I are able to communicate clearly once a week during our hectic lives, which in turn allows us to communicate through other avenues during the course of the week. It also provides a means to evaluate and keep our walk with Jesus in close check. Lastly, it helps us remember the usage of our possesions for the Kingdom of God.

I wanted to write this not to be boastful or a discouragement. Rather, I wanted it to be the opposite. If any of you struggle with family devotion times, do not feel alone. Chenille and I have been there for years. We have always talked about God and scripture together, but now it seems like we are actually going to be headed in an organized direction that is set upon a goal which is ultimately the Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments: